Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Changes All Around Me

Well lots more has happened since my last post...I know I should probably learn to check my own blog and update it more then every 3 months. Where to begin? Well doors where opened at House of Blues in Dallas for me to get a job as an audio engineer. I had come through with a band and mixed a show and gotten a job offer back in August. After management finally received the budget increase I got a call to come in. After about a month it was clear that to get more frequent gigs at House of Blues I would have to be open in terms of my schedule. Completely open and so that lead to my next decision. I'm no longer full time at my church as the Audio Director. I still mix most Sundays as well as get paid to come in about 10 hours a week just to keep the stage and gear prepped for Sunday and take care of any ghost that might pop up during the week. I'm also completely done with the youth production area. Even before House of Blues I was getting stressed going between the different buildings and services checking on everything and so it's nice to only have to focus on the adult services and allow some of the volunteers to run the youth production. I will definitely miss working up at the church full time. We've all grown up together and it will always be home to me. However, I really enjoy my new family at House of Blues. The rest of the production staff are great people and a lot of fun to work with! My ultimate goal as an audio engineer is touring with a band on a decent sized tour around the country and possibly overseas as well. Basically big enough to carry my own console and mic package and maybe my own PA.....maybe about the PA. That's just a whole other can of worms. Oh and for those wondering....Avid Profile would be my console. I have used the VENUE system for over 5 years now and I really don't want anything else. Got to use the Soundcraft Vi6,Yamaha M7CL,PM5D, and LS9. Oh and recently got to play around with a Midas Pro6....still want the Profile! The snapshot automation and 100 slots for plugins and the super simple link to ProTools HD makes it unbeatable. It offers so musch create mixing options it's insane not to at least give it a try! I know, I should work for Avid.....back to the blog. I'm not entirely sure arenas would be something I enjoy mixing unless of course I had the PA and budget like U2, or like Tom Petty. With that being said, House of Blues is the best place I can be in Dallas to get me hopefully one step closer to reaching that goal and being around other techs and bands that operate on that level. Several other of the HOB guys have been asked to go out on tours by visiting bands and management, which is really cool. I was always under the impression that you could never get hired mid tour, because obviously the tour already has the necessary techs. Needless to say I always bring my A-game at House of Blues.

House of Blues has been an eye opening experience to say the least. The non-church production world is a lot different and way more fast paced. Also I've found that unless your the headliner and are a national touring act....less is more. I've had some of my co-workers wide eyed when I said I wanted a snare bottom mic on one of the support acts, or a double guitar mic setup. Hey, I figure we have a huge closet full of mics and cables and plenty of console channels why not?! It's also eye opening when I see costumers or bands acting just like they do in the church world. People with a sense of entitlement or control that they are so far from actually having its hilarious! I guess dealing with people is just life! Well until next time....

No comments: